Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wednesday

hello!  Another busy day at the clinic.  I was so excited, today I was able to utilize my wound nurse skills!  I have seen four cases over the last three days and today even got to do a follow up with a burn case from Monday.  I am  so happy to be able to use my wound knowledge to help these people.  They are so poor and have a very difficult time getting to and paying for healthcare.  The paraplegic boy with wounds I saw today was brought in by his mother.  His wounds were pretty severe but she hadn't been able to take him to the doctor because she couldn't afford the transportation to get him there.  The wonderful MMI team stepped in a found a way so they could get regular transporation to the hospital for wound follow-up after my treatment.  MMI is truely a great group doing so many good things for these people.  I was so thankful to have the wound supplies that I did.  Esther and Starr both had very busy days.  Esther is working with the opthamalogist, Dr. Nathan and Starr has been working in Integrated Health.  Integrated health is where the patients go after they have received their medicine and get instructions on their diagnosis, medications, and general healthcare.  Starr has been working mostly outside as has gotten a bit of a sunburn! Today we had a little highlight as well, a 103 year old woman came in for a check up.  The only thing she needed was a wheelchair and some vitamins!  Tomorrow its off to a more rural location, the past three days we have been just outside of town.  There are two locations, one is very small and the other is just a bit smaller than the one we have been at.  I was chosen to be in charge of the pharmacy at the smaller clinic (I was very flattered, how cool is that?)  Starr and Esther will be going to the larger clinic but still working the same jobs.  We are being treated so well, the food is spectacular.  They always are bringing around snacks and treats for us while we are working.  My spanish is getting a bit better.  From working in the pharmacy I can write very well in spanish and from being around the people I have picked up a few more words.  I can even follow the general meaning of a conversation!  Keep us in your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment